Sunday, September 7, 2008

the beginning of my life in mexico

so it's been about a day...still getting things unpacked and cleaned.  we went to dinner in town last night and i got to see the ocean and a beautiful sunset.  seeing that gives me a little more peace about being here.  and this morning we met a pastor and his wife who are from phoenix but have been here for four years.  they're a little bit older, probably in their 40's or 50's but they seem really friendly.  we're meeting them at a birthday party at burger king for one of the kids who goes to their church.  hopefully we'll be able to meet some more people there.  i felt a lot better after meeting them.  it's such a new and different place, so i still feel a little anxious.  and i've definitely been accident prone since we've gotten here.  last night after i took my shower that was maybe look warm and felt more like a little hose dribbling on me than a shower, i took my flip flops off on this little tile ledge.  it's like a little step at the edge of the shower about 8 inches off the ground.  well i look down and say to myself "we should definitely get a rug to put there because it looks like it could be pretty slippery...i'll make a list of little things like that that they can bring for us when the group comes down..."  as i'm thinking that last thought i slowly try to step down and as soon as my foot hits the tile my feet fly up and my back hits that wonderful tile ledge.  dustin and jason heard my scream as i slipped and dustin ran in to check on me.  i couldn't breathe at first because it really knocked the wind out of me, so all i could do was cry.  thankfully i was able to get up and breathe and finish getting ready for bed.  it's a little sore today, but it could've been way worse.  then today i'm washing some dishes and zeebs (my dog) brings her ball over to me and drops it at my feet.  i pick it up and throw it for her and watch her slide around on the tile.  so i'm just washing this mug and watching her, but then the mug slips out of my hand and i try to catch it before it hits the water and the other mugs, but apparently i wasn't quick enough because i pull my hand out of the water and my pinky is covered in blood.  so i rinse it in the sink for a while and it just bleeds away.  i lightly rubbed over it with my finger and it didn't feel like there was any glass in there, just a nasty cut, so i find a rag and wrap that around my finger and hold it up above my head for a while.  my finger is throbbing and i'm feeling a little light headed as i search for the bandaids and neosporen.  i find them and let my finger bleed for a little longer before i wipe it clean with an alcohol pad.  i glob some neospern on there and then put the bandaid around.  except the bandaid won't stay on so i have to tape it on with medical tape.  once i finished with all that i had to lay down for a while.  so now i have this taped up pinky that i can't even type with, and a sore back.  but i guess it could be a lot worse...   apparently i'm just more clumsy in mexico.

No comments: